It seems that even the Summer is confused! Is it July or April? Hopefully after the wet start we can look forward to some sunny days this weekend.
It was so good to see so many of you at Tuesdays Pan Barnet learning event on Remote learning. As we all know now 85% of primary care “contact” is being done remotely, compared to 15% pre COVID-19! This represents a total shift in how you are all delivering primary care services. The MDU presentation was a timely reminder of the challenges of remote consultations and the importance of documentation, confidentiality and clear specific “safety netting” information.
Here is this week’s Bulletin
Faecal occult blood testing
From 13 July 2020, faecal samples sent to the HSL Rapid Response Laboratories (RRL) at the Royal Free Hospital and Barnet Hospital that are not in the correct container will not be processed and we will ask for a new sample. The correct containers can be requested as follows:
- For samples sent to the Royal Free Hospital, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- For samples sent to Barnet Hospital and Chase Farm Hospital, please submit a pathology supplies order form.
[Londonwide_GPN_Leads] Fundamentals of Influenza Immunisation – 1 day course
Please find attached the a document detailing the Practice’s responsibility post course which should be taken into consideration when booking a place. As we are hoping to offer the first session on 17 August, Please respond directly to at Rizwana.firstname.lastname@example.org. The course fee has been reduced to £100 for the whole session. Please discuss with practice colleagues.
Details of the course are as follows:
- Fundamentals of Influenza Immunisation for new immunisers – 1 day course for HCPs and HCSWs
- The course will be delivered via Zoom online platform
- Timings – 0930-1700hrs (including comfort and lunch breaks)
- This course will provide the knowledge and necessary theory for staff new to immunisation to be able to administer injected flu vaccines to adults and the children’s nasal flu vaccine ONLY.
- Post course competencies must be signed off by the Practice.
- Delegates will not receive training on any other immunisation programmes or vaccines.
- Course content:
- Influenza virus, disease and epidemiology
- Which individuals are recommended to receive the vaccine and why
- Legal framework for administering vaccines (PGD and PSD)
- Different types of flu vaccine and which to give to whom
- Contraindications and precautions
- Vaccine storage
- Vaccine administration
- Data Recording
- Potential side effects and how to manage these
- Sources of information and advice
COVID-19 and the wider issues in general practice – message from Julie Roye Primary Care nurse consultant Lewisham CCG
For too long BME GPN’s voice has not been heard, during our CEPN training last week I spoke on some sensitive issues. I personally was positively surprised to hear and see the response that I had from colleagues as it is often swept under the carpet. We want to change this we have arranged two listening sessions to hear events and the impact both from COVID-19 and the wider issues in general practice. I would appreciate if you could attend one of the listening sessions and support this by being allies even if you are not BME. Also see the weekly soul stirring blogs that I put up and give me some feedback.
Below is the link for our network on Futures NHS platform and the two listening session zoom links.
Future NHS platform link: https://bit.ly/gpnbamenetwork
Below are the links for the listening webinars on
Tuesday 14 July at 12.30 – 13.30
Topic: GPN BAME Network
Time: Jul 14, 2020 12:30 London
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 840 8572 3235
Friday 17 July at 17.30 – 18.30
Topic: GPN BAME Network
Time: Jul 17, 2020 17:30 London
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 811 3952 9921
|READ HERE The majority (73%) of parents were happy for their children to receive vaccinations during the COVID-19 outbreak. However, just 27% of parents are now comfortable taking their child to a medical centre for vaccinations – down from 91% pre-pandemic…|
READ HERE Time to speak up: some necessary words about racism | The King’s Fund
North Central London Covid-19 GP website
For the latest information on Covid-19, primary care staff are asked to regularly check the North Central London Covid-19 GP website. If you or a colleague would like to subscribe or submit content to the twice-weekly NCL GP newsletter, please email: email@example.com . Launched to improve how we communicate the fast-changing and large amount of guidance and information being shared, we hope you find them helpful. Barnet’s GP intranet will continue to be updated with local information.
Enjoy a video for a little light relief for the weekend; we thank the pupils at JFS for a song in honour of the NHS and care workers.