The Widening Participation programme aims to increase awareness among school children about health and social care careers and increase working across health and social care boundaries to support the workforce of the future.
In 2017 Barnet Training Hub (then Barnet CEPN) ran its first health and social care careers fair event at Middlesex University for Year 10 students and above. In 2019 Barnet Training Hub held a careers fair jointly with Enfield CEPN. Around 200 students attended, giving them an idea of the broad range of health and social care careers open to them, from GP to pharmacist, to nurses and paramedics, as well as social care and other professions.
In 2021 Barnet and Enfield Training Hubs worked together with Middlesex University to create a ‘virtual’ careers fair.
There were 9 sessions:
- Nursing: Helping you help others
- Careers in Mental Health
- Careers in Radiology and Radiography
- Social Prescribing and working in the Care sector
- Life as a pharmacist
- Careers as a therapist and Allied Health Professions
- Universities: Pathways into the health sector
- Career opportunities in dentistry and optometry
- Becoming a Doctor: all you need to know.
There were 45 speakers from a range of settings including:
- Barnet, Enfield & Haringey Mental Health Trust
- Enfield Integrated Learning Disabilities Service
- Whittington Hospital
- Barnet Hospital
- North Middlesex Hospital
- Watford General Hospital
- UCLH Medical school and school of pharmacy
- Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital
- Representatives from a range of Barnet GP surgeries
- City University
- Middlesex University
- Great Ormond Street Hospital
- Angle House Orthodontics
- Local optical committee
- Barnet Wellbeing Hub
- Proud to Care North London
The careers fair was introduced by TikTok Surgeon Dr Karan Rajan. Over 160 young people logged in to the careers fair live, watching on average three sessions. Many more registered and will have watched via youtube. If you wish to watch any of the sessions, please click on the link above.
If you would like more information about this programme or are interested in exhibiting at our careers fair in 2021 please contact Sharon Ralph at email@example.com